Tuesday, January 17, 2012




Retail therapy and compulsive consumption


As I read this weeks "Retail Therapy" article and Chapter one of our textbook, I couldn't help but think of my sister... a lot. My sister, Jodi, is what I would call a "shopaholic." She owns twenty pairs of boots, but still wants more. She is so addicted to clothing that when we go home over breaks, it is unnecessary for her to pack a bag because she has an entire second closet at home (of course she doesn't do this and packs as much stuff as she possibly can, "just in case"). Her purchasing habits are clearly made from her strong emotions when shopping. She doesn't need anymore jeans, shirts, or shoes, but she believes she needs them so go with "that one top," among many other silly reasons she states. Jodi is so irrational when shopping, that I usually end up in the food court waiting for her. It is almost painful for me to witness because the only product I consider myself irrational about is Burt's Bee's chapstick.. I literally get upset if I forget to put it in my pocket in the morning or I have to use another brand. Now, I understand that many girls love to shop, but the question I keep asking myself after the readings is, why?

1 comment: