Tuesday, April 17, 2012

You must kill an elk to obtain your rite of passage in our family... 

Sorry for the semi-gruesome photo.....

This weeks topic on rite of passage and how it is different for all cultures made me think of different rites of passage even within families. A classmate described how she was treated with more respect after sky diving when she was a teenager with her brother and father. In my family, and just particularly my dad, your first elk is when you are treated as an adult. It is not the same as killing a deer, because my dad claims you can drive around and do that. Killing an elk is different. It takes a lot more willpower in his eyes and when I accomplished that when I was 13 was the first time I  was not treated as his "little girl." I know it sounds funny but I think a lot of it had to do with his old school beliefs of providing for the family... anyways, not to get too personal soooo here are some Bizarre rites of passage that I found!
 

1 comment: